Chevrolet Equinox Antennas
For all the advanced entertainment features you can enjoy on your SUV, theres still nothing quite like cruising down the road with the radio turned up loud. Of course, without an antenna, theres no radio to listen to. Beyond your favorite tunes, though, your antenna also receives navigation and emergency assistance information, meaning its vitally important to keep your antenna in good working order.What are the features of a Chevrolet Equinox antenna?
Many demands are placed on the antenna on your Chevrolet Equinox, so Chevrolet has designed it to be durable, accurate, and stylish.
- Low-profile design: A sleek, low-profile design ensures your antenna wont add extra drag to your SUV, thus risking lowering fuel economy. Some models have the antenna embedded in a fin for even better aerodynamic capabilities.
- Modular design: The antenna and antenna base are two separate pieces you can replace individually, so you only need to replace exactly what is broken.
- Multiple device operation: Your antenna mast houses the receivers for the AM/FM signals, while the base houses receivers for satellite radio, navigation, and OnStar communication.
The original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, as well as aftermarket accessory manufacturers make antennas for your Equinox.
Most aftermarket antennas have a shorter, stubbier appearance than their OEM counterparts, but still provide the same functionality. It really comes down to appearance preferences. When selecting an antenna for your vehicle, ensure you buy a replacement with the same capabilities as your current antenna. The connections for the antennas are different, depending on their capabilities.How do you install an antenna on a Chevy Equinox?
Installing a new antenna is a fairly straightforward process. If you are installing a new base, ensure you have obtained new mounting hardware for it as well, since the base is constantly exposed to harsh weather conditions, and the mounting hardware may have begun to corrode. If you only need to replace the antenna mast, all you have to do is unscrew the old mast from the base and screw in the new one. If you need to replace the base itself, however, this is the procedure.
- First, remove the garment hooks holding the roof liner in place at the rear of the vehicle.
- Second, remove the interior trim in the middle top of the rear of the vehicle, exposing the mounting bolt for the antenna.
- Third, remove the bolt, disconnect the cable connections, and pull the old antenna up and out of the mounting hole.
- Fourth, insert the new antennas cables through the mounting hole, connect the cable connections, and tighten the mounting bolt.
- Finally, use a small amount of glue to ensure the connections stay in place, reinstall the interior trim and garment hooks, install the antenna mast, and test to make sure everything works properly.