Scion tC Fenders
Fenders are small parts that are installed on your Scion tCs wheel well to protect the underpart of your car from roadside debris. This part can be replaced with a similar OEM fender or an aftermarket fender to give your tC a unique appearance or to add extra protection. Because there are many different types of fenders available, choosing the right replacement for your Scion may be difficult.What are the reasons to buy an aftermarket fender?
There are several reasons you may want to choose an aftermarket fender for your Scion tC. These reasons may include:
- Appearance: Changing out the fenders can change the appearance of your tCs exterior. Some fender flares, for example, give a Scion tC a more rugged appearance.
- Materials: Many fenders are made from lightweight materials. In some cases, you may want to go with a heavier material depending on the type of driving you do.
- Protection: If you have larger wheels that the vehicle originally came from, you can add protection with an aftermarket fender. Some styles are designed to add additional coverage that fits the space.
Fenders for your Scion are generally made from three different materials. These materials include:
- Metal: Fenders made from metal, particularly steel, are commonly found for a variety of different vehicle makes and models. This material is extremely durable and offers protection. Fenders made from this material are often heavy.
- Fiberglass: This material is stronger than aluminum and is lighter than steel. Fiberglass does not rust and still offers protection for passengers and drivers.
- Carbon fiber: Fenders made from carbon fiber are lighter than fiberglass but are stronger than steel. The material does not rust.
If you want to replace your Scion tCs fender yourself, you will need to have a jack on hand as you will need to remove the tire. To remove the tCs old fender and install a replacement, there are several steps you should take:
- Step 1: Open the trunk lid and the rear door on the side of the vehicle that is getting the replacement fender. You will also need to remove the taillight. This will give you access to the bolts.
- Step 2: Unscrew the splash guard or panel on your Scion. Remove the bolts that are holding the fender into place with a ratchet or socket wrench.
- Step 3: Next, you can remove the panel. If the fender is made from metal, you may need a second person to help.
- Step 4: Install the replacement fender by bolting it back into place. If your replacement fender did not come with bolts, you can usually use the old bolts.
- Step 5: Replace the taillight and other parts you may have removed to complete your fender installation.