Men's Flat Caps - Comfort with Style
Flat caps date back to the 14th century and are known by different names, such as bunnet (Scotland), dai cap (Wales), and newsboy cap (USA). Although closely associated with the working classes, they were adopted by upper-class gentlemen in the 1920s as casual headwear for countryside pursuits like golf and hunting. Since the success of 'Peaky Blinders', they are fashionable once again. The main advantage of these caps is that they suit all face shapes and are available in a wide range of materials, colors, and styles, making them a versatile fashion accessory for both urban and rural life. Whatever your personal tastes and budget, eBay has a wide selection of men's flat caps to suit everyone.What should you consider before purchasing men's flat caps?
To narrow down your choice of flat cap, you should think about:
- Manufacturer: Caps might be branded or non-branded, new or used (including vintage).
- Style: Some flat caps fit closely to the head whilst others are made up of 8 panels (with a button at the crown) and have more volume.
- Size: Flat caps are sold in sizes from small to large, but always refer to the manufacturer's sizing charts.
- color: Choose a monochrome cap which suits your hair color and/or complexion, or go for classic patterns like herringbone.
- Material: Although traditionally made of tweed, flat caps are also available in fabrics like cotton, polyester, and wool blends.
- Additional features: Caps might be water-resistant or have an inner lining for comfort and/or warmth.
To purchase the correct size, you should measure around your forehead where the cap will sit. To ensure a snug and comfortable fit, some caps have an elasticated insert at the rear so that you won't lose the cap in windy weather. Always consult the manufacturer's sizing guidelines, but men's hat sizes are usually:
- Small: 56-57 cm.
- Medium: 58-59 cm.
- Large: 60-61 cm.
Although materials like tweed are more suitable for autumn/winter, flat caps made of lightweight fabrics such as cotton can be worn all the year round. It can be worn rakishly to one side, but a flat cap should never be worn back-to-front like a baseball hat. On informal occasions, it can be teamed with jeans, a plain T-shirt, and a leather or denim jacket. To achieve a smart-casual look, you can wear it with a pair of smart trousers, a shirt, and a blazer.