Picking The Right Long Arm Quilting Machine for Your Quilting Needs
Quilting is a beautiful tradition that has spanned generations, and pulling together fabric scraps in designs that range from the simple to the ornate in the art that becomes a treasured family heirloom is a special skill to have. Many quilts need to be finished with a long-armed quilting machine due to the special sewing designs that need to go all over the quilt. There are many affordable long arm quilting machines for sale on eBay, and here is how to find the one you need.What different sizes of long arm sewing machines are there?
When you are looking for a long arm quilting machine for sale, you will notice there are a lot of size choices. For instance, the Bernina Q24 machine has 24 inches of quilting space, while the Qnique 15R has 15 inches. Here are the general sizes available:
- 12 inches to 14 inches: This is ideal if you are hand-stitching, as it is an easily controllable area.
- 15 inches to 16 inches: Be sure you have a machine with stitch regulation at this size.
- 18 inches to 24 inches: At this size, you will want to use a computerized machine.
When it comes to long arm quilting, sometimes using a computerized long arm quilting machine makes the job a lot easier. The Handi Quilter brand has a lot of computerized options available. With computerized systems, there is a program you can upload your design into, and the machine will stitch the design on its own. If you finish a lot of quilts, this may be an ideal solution for you.How do you pick from used long arm quilting machines?
New quilting machines can be expensive, so you may want to look at a used system. Used systems are a great way to get a machine if you are on a budget, and finding a good one is easy on eBay. If you do decide to purchase a preowned long arm quilting machine, there are some important things you need to look for before purchasing so you can be sure you get what you need.
- Accessories: Does the machine come with useful accessories? A table or quilting frame is a useful addition to your long armed quilting tool arsenal.
- Features: Check for features that are important to you. If you want a machine that is computerized or one that is a specific size, be sure the one you are looking at fits your needs.